IIT Physics Sample Paper 1
Rotational Kinematics & Dynamics
- A uniform thin rod AB of mass 3m and length 2a is free to rotate in a horizontal plane about
a smooth fixed vertical axis which passes through the midpoint O of the rod. Two small smooth rings
each of mass m are free to slide on the rod. At time t=0 the rings are on the opposite side of O
and are at a distance a/2 from O. The rod is then given an initial angular velocity
2Ög/a, the rings being initially at rest relative to the rod.
- Show that when the rings are about to slip off the rod its angular velocity is
- Find the speed of either ring at this instant.
- If the point O is at a height a above the horizontal plane show that the distance between
the points where the ring strikes the plane is 2aÖ(6
- Two particles m1 and m2 are connected by a light elastic string of
natural length lo and are placed on a smooth horizontal table with separation
between m1 and m2 as lo. m2 is projected with a
velocity vo along the table at right angles to the string. Show that the max length l
of the particle is given by: l2(l-lo)=m1m2vo2(l+lo)/k(m1+m2)
where k is force const of string
equal particles are attached to the end of a light rod and a 3rd equal particle
is connected by an inextensible string to a point on the rod at distance a and b from its
ends. The latter particle is projected at right angles to the rod with a velocity
vo. Show that when the string becomes taut the velocity of the particle is
changed to v1=vo(a2+b2)/2(a2+ab+b2)
and that the rod begins to turn with angular velocity (a-b/a2+b2)v1.
- A rod of length 2a and mass M is in motion in a horizontal plane with speed u at right
angle to its length when it collides with a small elastic sphere of equal mass whose center
lies in the same plane. If the sphere is free to move, Prove that angular velocity acquired
by the rod cannot exceed (1+e)uÖ6/4a.
- A cube rests on a rough plane of inclination q
(< p/4) with 2 of its upper and two of its lower edges
horizontal. A rope is attached to the midpoint of its upper most edge and is pulled parallel
to the greatest slope of the plane. Show that it will be impossible to drag the cube without
upsetting it if the coefficient of friction exceeds (1-tan q)/2
- A uniform rod of length 2a, mass m is set in motion by a sudden blow J acting at A and
inclined at q to rod as shown. Find velocity of A of rod
immediately after the impact and Prove that energy communicated is
small block of mass m is placed inside a hollow cone rotating about a vertical axis with angular
velocity w as in the figure. The semivertical angle of the cone
is q and the coefficient of friction between the cone and the
block is m. If the block is to remain at a constant height h
above the apex of the cone, what are the maximum and minimum values of
- The shown arrangement is in a horizontal plane. The particle with mass m is restricted to move in an elliptical orbit with shown dimension. The particle has velocity v at the shown position towards right. Length of rod is 2l. The coefficient of restitution between the particle and the rod is 1/3. The moment of inertia of rod is I, about O.
(Assume only one collision)
- Find the locus of mid-point of spring of force constant K3.
- Find the frequency of the rod.
- What would be the maximum angular displacement of the oscillating system.
- The system shown is initially at rest. Find the acceleration of the bobbins A and mass m. Assume that A can roll without slipping along the incline. Given that the MI about instantaneous axis of rotation of bobbins A,B,C is IA, IB, IC. Assume their masses to be mA, mB, mc and internal and external radii to be r and R.